WHY LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION WITH 3D|CORE™?
Lightweight construction is the solution for our future. It increases the efficiency of the materials used and reduces the consumption of resources. This is how you improve the respective products and this has a significant impact on manufacturing and operating costs.
We are building on this idea and are taking it a step further: our high-performance composite materials serve as the basis for outstanding lightweight components. 3D|CORE™ is the key technology in lightweight construction to meet the challenges of the future. The industrial processing possibilities, such as IT - supported winding, cutting and milling technology, allow you to significantly increase the performance and productivity in the production of your products.
We pick up where others leave off: lightweight components, little effort, low costs.
HOW DOES 3D|CORE™ WORK?
3D|CORE™ is a patented honeycomb structure that is inserted into a closed-cell PET or XPS foam core. The honeycombs, which are connected to each other via small bridges, run through the entire foam core and enable a high flexibility of the core. Between the individual honeycomb foam bodies are cavities that are filled with a matrix of synthetic resin and support the filling process as an integrated flow aid. Once the matrix has cured, the foam core retains its shape and develops excellent technical properties. The cover layers on both sides of the foam core are connected to each other via the honeycomb structure. This prevents the cover layers from detaching from the core (delamination) and furthermore prevents the component from failing completely.
3D|CORE™ – YOUR BENEFITS
The 3D|CORE™ structure gives technical rigid foam cores maximum flexibility:
- Three-dimensional formability for the production of convex and concave components
- Easy handling without pressure and heat
- No additional processing steps required (no intermediate vacuum as 3D|CORE™ foam cores adhere to the mould)
- Increased drapability (adaptation to complex shapes and contours)
The 3D|CORE™ structure acts as an integrated filling and venting system:
- The 3D|CORE™ honeycomb structure acts as an integrated flow aid and supports the filling process with a liquid matrix (no additional flow aid is required)
- Increased process speed and reliability (optimal resin filling and wetting of the surface layers guarantee a homogeneously filled component)
The resin structure around the individual honeycomb foam bodies holds the laminate together:
- Long-term resistance even under permanent load (delamination of the surface layers and component failure are prevented)
- High damage tolerance of the final component
Once the resin has cured, the component retains its shape:
- The honeycomb foam bodies follow the shaping contour and do not stick out
- The component remains dimensionally stable after being processed
The resin around the 3D|CORE™ structure acts as a double-T-beam and enables excellent mechanical properties:
- Improved shear and compression properties compared to standard foam cores (800% higher compression modulus, 300% higher shear modulus)
- Increased strength and stiffness compared to standard foam cores (500% higher flexural strength)
- Optimal performance to weight ratio
- Optimal absorption and transmission of forces (in-plane compression load significantly better than regular systems)
- The reinforced 3D|CORE™ high-performance foam cores replace monolithic structures and other core materials in moulds and final components
3D|CORE™ enables significant savings compared to standard foam cores and monolithic structures:
- Material savings: significantly less consumables (no flow aid, peel ply, fleece, perforated film and spray adhesive), less resin consumption (no additional resin for consumables), less fibres
- Weight saving: the closed-cell 3D|CORE™ foam and its honeycomb structure ensure calculable resin and fibre consumption (no additional resin and fibres without technical benefit)
- Cost saving: resulting from less weight and material and the immense time savings in processing
3D|CORE™ supports you in achieving your CO2 targets:
- Sustainable manufacturing process (savings of consumables)
- Recycled and recyclable core materials
- Minimization of material consumption (no extra weight without technical benefit)
3D|CORE™ – PERFORMANCE STRUCTURES
3D|CORETM is available in three different structures. These are used for core optimization and can also be used for partial stiffening of critical components.
Improvement of the 3D|CORE™ HX structure compared to standard foam cores:
- Technical properties of the core by 100%, flexibility by 100%
- Peel strength of the fibre layers by 100%
Improvement of the 3D|CORE™ RB structure compared to standard foam cores:
- Technical properties of the core approx. 200%, flexibility approx. 200%
- Peel strength of the fibre layers about 150%
Available in XPS and PET foam.
Improvement of the 3D|CORE™ DT structure compared to standard foam cores:
- Technical properties of the core approx. 300%, flexibility more than 300%
- Peel strength of the fibre layers about 200%
Available in XPS and PET foam.